PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Noise suffered by the people on the ground
Old 5th May 2015, 07:36
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid those being arrogantly dismissive of concerns on helicopter noise are not doing the industry any favours here. We ought to assume that Tony SLF has a ligitimate interest in the subject - his post was hardly a rant. And even if not there are plenty of others who are concerned - not surprisingly - with helicopter noise.

We should not only be couteously explaining the low flying rules, (as CBS did) and helicopter noise certification regulations, but also making it clear that as pilots we should be trying to minimise the noise impact of our activities - eg by flying as high as is sensible, making steep climbs and steep approaches etc etc.

We need to think long term - and even medium term. Whilst regulations may not change in the next 5-10 years, in time they surely will, and we are likely to enjoy less freedom in what, how and where we fly because of new regulations from public pressure to reduce the noise impact of helicopters.

I'm afraid too many posts here demonstrate a poor, inconsiderate attitude to what is a real issue. We all know these posts get trawled for info in the event of accidents. They could be equally used to demonstrate a couldn't care less attitude by the industry (which is untrue) which will be antagonising to those who lobby to constrain helicopter flying.

Of course by the worst offenders are the military and I do think serious questions should be asked about the need, for example, for Chinooks to fly over well populated areas at circa 250ft to the extent they do.