PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MORE EVIDENCE OF THE “IRON RING”
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 06:01
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
MORE EVIDENCE OF THE “IRON RING”

I think there is evidence that at the present time, the Director and the Board at CASA have very little say about what goes on. For example, John McCormick told many people – including myself – that in relation to the unique ADS-B mandate, five years ahead of the USA, dispensations would be available for non-radar airspace similar to the dispensation for RVSM.

At a later stage, John McCormick sent the following email to a well-known identity in the aviation industry:

I have spoken to David Bell and Air Services and the approach they have spoken of between themselves is to treat biz jets that are not ADSB compliant in the same manner as AsA dealt with non RVSM compliant aircraft when that initiative was introduced, i.e. if the Air Traffic Controller has the flight levels available at the time, then the appropriate level will be made available to non ADSB equipped aircraft. It will be on an ‘as available’ basis.

It was deemed too hard and too restrictive to come up with any mandatory traffic treatment plan that would make sense equally across OZ. As you know, within the J curve, there should be no issues (according to AsA).

I hope that sets your mind at east. Dick Smith seems happy with the approach I believe will be used.
When we pushed John McCormick on this email later, it was clear that he had been out-voted by the “Iron Ring” at CASA and no dispensations were to be given at all. The Iron Ring didn’t give a damn that the CEO had actually put in writing that there would be dispensations for the non-radar airspace. No - they had made up their mind and to Hell with fairness or keeping a promise or being ethical.

It now looks as if the dispensation which has been given in the radar airspace is to be removed in December. This can only be because of sheer bastardry because within the radar airspace the separation standards are the same for a Mode-S transponder as for an ADS-B fitted aircraft. Therefore there is no safety advantage at all.