PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick Vacancy
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 23:14
LEGAL TENDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I realise the choice of words was a bit harsh.

However...
18 months on the market with no buyers - bought by Scottish Government for £1 - on £25 million loan from Scottish Government to operate until 2016 (which is estimated to rise to £40 mil) - running at a loss of £4 million per year.
The Scottish Government made a business plan to return to profit by 2022 estimating passenger growth of 10% per year in the first 5 years.
Like that is going to happen?

The initial loan funding of 21 million until 2022 has now been revised to £40 million until 2021.

How the Scottish Government gets away with throwing good money after bad (while at the same time being very critical of the defence budget and other things) is beyond me - but this is a different subject altogether.
Perhaps the legacy of Elvis landing at PIK and the prospect of a thriving spaceport justify the use of public money to support a failing business.
If I owned a factory (or a football club for that matter) that failed I doubt there would be a similar intervention.

I apologise for the unfortunate choice of words. However the numbers paint anything but a success story I'm sure you'll agree.

Regards