PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIs signing Revalidation
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 15:25
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not a right, it's a privilege......
Unfortunately, the way it is written it is a 'duty' not a 'privilege':
FCL.945 Obligations for instructors
Upon completion of the training flight .... the instructor shall endorse the applicant's licence
It will not be any easier for most pilots to have the validity of their rating extended because they are still going to have to find an Examiner to complete the paperwork rather than a much more readily available instructor. For everyone's sake the CAA must clarify the position quickly.
From what I have read previously on PPRuNe there are plenty of pilots who never want to go anywhere near an Instructor or Examiner and have difficulty finding them when they want to Revalidate 'by Experience'. At least this change means they only have to find an Instructor.

Where did the "immediately" bit come from?
I think that is implied in the wording.
Say an aircraft group's rules said:
"After each flight the pilot shall ensure the aircraft is correctly tied down, the control locks are in place, the key is returned to the office and the paperwork is completed"
I don't think the group would be too happy if someone interpreted that as anytime in the next few days after the flight.

Since when was the one hour dual with instructor a 'training flight'?
OK it might have been done towards some rating, but it just as well be a jolly
Since Always by definition: The Instructor must be PIC and the student must be PUT (Pilot under Training).

Unlike a Test or Proficiency Check Pass, the Training cannot be for any Rating at all as it must take place in an SEP(A). If the content is so minimal that it ends up being a "Jolly" then the PUT has been 'short changed'; the Instructor should ascertain before flight what the student would like to achieve. I understand from previous Threads that EASA is considering suggesting/mandating the content.

Note: Although not a Test, if the Instructor deems the student's flying so poor that they require further Training they can refuse to sign the Log Book and therefore now, presumably, can also refuse to undertake the Revalidation action.

Probably not legalese enough, but my suggested wording would be:
'Provided all other requirements have been met, and the only experience requirement a candidate needs is one hour of dual instruction, then the Instructor who provides the one hour of instruction may also endorse the candidate's Licence provided they do so on the same day that the Instructional flight took place.'