PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 11:08
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again WT. Here is a post I made on the Aviation Forum website five years ago. Stlil no response regarding John Pimlott.

The late James Matthew Banks was an Australian, a pilot and plastic surgeon who trained under MacIndoe. Alan Mitchell, a biographer of Neville Duke, wrote a biography, 'No Man Despairs', about Banks, which came out about 1960. Banks, based in London, flew his Gemini to various European countries to operate on wealthy patients. One time he was apprehended by British customs, as there were hidden, some gold ingots in his Gemini. I would appreciate any reference to a published obituary of Banks and any court record of his alleged offence. I do not know his date of death. Before he sailed to England at the outbreak of the Second World War, Banks had been Charles Kingsford Smith's doctor and close associate. There is mention of this in Ian Mackersey's biography of Smithy.

Another man I would appreciate any particulars about was the late S/L John Austen Pimlott who flew pre-war with 601 County of London Squadron and served throughout the Second World War in the RAF. After the war he and his family migrated to South Africa where he was involved with mohair textiles. They moved to Australia in 1960 where he also worked in textiles. He flew some 83 types in the war, having been attached for a period to a maintenance unit at Boscombe Down. He said to me when I met him in Canberra in 1960 that he flew in the Battle of Britain, but I have been unable to date to find any reference to Pimlott anywhere.