PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spectator balconies
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 09:37
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyL2013
I regularly see people asking LGW to reinstate one but they always say no. Surely they can't be that expensive to run?
They aren't, but then these days anything which doesn't make an airport money (especially in the UK) is a no-go. The spectators galleries use up space that a WH Smith or over priced restaurant could go in to instead of a space where people are milling around not spending anything.

Of course they could offer a cafe, enthusiasts shop etc like LHR did, which was very popular (LGW had a play area I think and part of a comet cockpit and I think they may have had an entry fee??) but they still got rid of those areas.

Of course they could charge to get in but they'd have to make it worth it. Many of the major German airports have viewing areas which have a small charge. ZRH too has a great viewing platform on top of the terminal which has brilliant views, live ATC, interactive binoculars which show flight details in real time when pointed at aircraft, plus a play area, shop and a restaurant. At least you get a sense that while you're paying you're actually getting something in return.