PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Important Announcement regarding the use of SafetyCom in Scotland
Old 4th May 2015, 04:47
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cessna G-CD, 5 North of Perth, 1,500’, tracking North on the A9 to Inverness"

"Microlight G-EF, 6 South West of Oban, 900', tracking North West to the Isle of Mull for landing Glenforsa"
A suggestion, several years back I was flying with an instructor in his Maule through a busy VFR corridor that had a Common Traffic announce requirement on a designated frequency. So me being all bright eyed and bushy tailed launched into the following

"Los Angeles special flight rules traffic Maule N1234 north bound on the SMO 132 radial, 4500, abeam the main terminal, Los Angeles special flight rules traffic Maule N1234."

Upon completion of this mouthful and feeling quite happy with myself the instructor looked at me and said "What the f&*K was that all about?" Crestfallen, I mumbled that I was announcing who I was, where I was and where I was going.

He then said in rather dismissive tone that nobody knows nor gives a **** what a Maule is and they certainly couldn't give f*&k what my call sign was but he was willing to bet that they would be extremely interested in receiving any help I could offer on what specifically they should be looking for, which he pointed out was the purpose of the announcement in the first place. He also expressed a feeling that if there was indeed other pilots out there that needed reminding that they were flying over LAX they were probably in need of more specialized guidance than I could offer. The bottom line the next announcement was changed to :

Flight rules traffic, Blue high wing taildragger, northbound, 4500, abeam xxxx, Blue high wing taildragger"

Apart from your run of the mill Cessna and Piper's, I have come across a whole bunch of aircraft flying round Scotland I've never heard of, from the powered kite things, a host of LSA's brands, experiential and certified European and former Soviet block manufacturers and would not have a scooby doo if what I have just been told over the radio is the aircraft brand and call sign of the traffic I am looking for.

So perhaps using a description of the aircraft may prove a better way of helping us novices correctly identify other traffic.