Old 3rd May 2015, 22:51
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes me wonder where any of you fly
This is the CAP 413 version for an airfield with an AFIS

G-CD, Land at your discretion, surface wind 050 10 knots

Response
Roger, G-CD

BIOS is a student pilot. If an instructor is making a big deal about the likes of "flaps up" vs "flaps in"
Both ambiguous! Should be flaps zero- to flaps full. Flaps up doesnt mean anything! Flaps up to what? Flaps from full to 25 is flaps up! Flaps 25 to 10 is flaps up!

In my experience pilots who are conscientious in one area, are also careful in others, so Michael ought to be commended for striving to get it right rather than told it doesn't really matter.
Well said and quite correct. Pilots who bust nosewheels and pilots who cant use CAP 413 RT suffer from the same thing-lack of knowledge and this lack of knowledge is usually as a result of poor instruction from instructors who have low standards themselves.

You cant teach disciplined professional flying unless you adhere to those standards yourself. One of those disciplines is standardisation. I regularly fly in a circuit where every flying school and seemingly every instructor uses their own made up RT procedures which makes it difficult to teach CAP 413 RT. You also need to consider that the student then goes on to a RT instructor for the RT qualification who in a lot of cases have to start again with the student due to poor instruction.

By all means dont be anal about it at first and I dont care about the obvious mistakes students make when they start on the RT as long as they work towards standard CAP 413 phraseology but you must have one hymn sheet that everyone can sing from. That is not only common sense but best practice plus a student is paying to be taught CAP 413 procedure, not your personal take upon it!.

CAP 413 says
Radiotelephony provides the means by which pilots of aircraft and ground
personnel communicate with each other. To ensure communications are
clear and fully understood it is of vital importance that transmissions by
radiotelephony should comply with internationally agreed procedures and
phraseology