PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:02
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aeroid, if that's the case, let me offer you a little 'K' balm.

I think this is this ones second outing. Taken during op Winter Express, and a shot of 205 doing some SF support. The tall bloke at the back was the boss of the "Hereford Hooligan" element, on that Det.

We had a bit of an incident on this one, that AA62 (a professional aviator) might explain better than myself. One night we were tasked to drop a "team" on a HALO trip. They were to use the "Canadian tube", a system that has high merit IMHO, to arrive at their DZ with all of their equipment (the Ski's, snow shoes and weapons going down in the Canadian Tube). We did the drop, but the chute on the Canadian tube failed to open, so the troops lost their kit. As we had dropped them in a seriously remote part of Norway, their late arrival at the target site (for their dummy bombs) raised no eyebrows. But when they were 3 days late, a search was undertaken. The lads weren't found. 2 days after that, the "bomb signs" turned up on target, and the troops were recovered, not necessarily in the rudest of health. Having lost their kit they had evaded (the search aircraft) and reached their target despite the loss of their kit.

I was only a GE, but seriously had a lot of respect for both SAS and SBS troops, who even on exercise gave of their best.

Honestly aeroid, it's a K Now AA62, the Canadian Tube ?

Meanwhile, a more sedate trip down the South Atlantic ;

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 3rd May 2015 at 20:18.