PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Economist: Aircraft & bribery - Airbus's secret past
Old 15th Jun 2003, 05:17
James Bond-age

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Canadian Airbus deal
The reason the Mounties pushed to get Mulroney was because it was obvious to everyone that Brian's hands weren't clean and the police were loosing face with their inaction. The fact that they found nothing amiss (big surprise!) means nothing other than how well connected BM still is. In Canada, we have a very poor history of enforcing laws when it comes to elected officials (almost Third World). This is due largely to the fact all senior officers in the RCMP are appointed by the aforementioned officials. As a result, the cops that don't want their careers capped short of their goals don't mess with those that make the appointments. Hardly independent investigators, eh? This is well documented in books like 'On the take' by Stevie Cameron and 'Above the law' by Rod Stamler (one damn fine cop!). I realise this is off topic, but I don't want people to assume that no conviction = innocence in the case of the AC/Airbus deal. Brian can try to sue me for saying so, but that deal was shady. I really don't have to worry about paying him a one million payout though- I'm a flight instructor so I don't have a pot to piss in!