PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 787 integer overflow bug
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:28
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian W
The overflow of a counter has been found, someone said how long would we need to keep a generator running for the counter overflow problem to show - 248 days!
The history of software development is littered with problems caused by people who thought counters were "big enough" that overflow would never be a problem, or that they would never overflow in the expected life of the software, or that the programmer would be retired / dead by the time the problem hit. This sort of thing really should _not_ be happening in safety critical software in this century.

Presumably, there is a requirement to report such software issues even though the chance of keeping a specific generator running for 248 days is zero. The chance of all generators on an aircraft being kept running for the same 248 days is less than zero. It is not even vanishingly small it is zero.

Yet the FAA felt they had to issue an AD!? Really???
The AD seems to just say "mandatory restart every 120 days" - I guess that gives two chances to catch it plus a bit of margin. If everyone is doing this anyway - if there is zero chance as you say - then I'm not sure why they included a cost of compliance...

It is also implied that this was "found" and therefore was not previously documented - as it should have been. To me, this indicates a non-zero risk that in some future change someone will make the counter value persistent (no resets), or make it effectively smaller (and overflow sooner), assuming (because it is not documented) that overflow causes no problems. The AD serves, in part, to document it.

I am more interested in what remains unsaid, namely why this software was/is being tested "in laboratory testing" _now_ - inevitable suspicion is that it is because of a real in-service problem (most likely not this one as you say). It also raises the question of why the software was _not_ tested "in the lab" before flight (or maybe it was but not fully / correctly). I don't suppose we'll ever know...