PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My daughter wants to be a pilot
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2015, 01:43
japandwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caution

Just a word of caution on the subject of a young person trying to become a pilot. That regional program you are considering is a load of BS, plain and simple. That school wants to paint itself as a more direct route when none actually exists. There have been many schools that promised this over the last 24 years, and I can tell you with certainty that majority of them never delivered.
It is really a marketing ploy.

Please don't get an aviation degree. This will limit what she may be able to achieve after she completes her degree. That 1250 hours required for ATP minimums versus the 1500 hours for non-aviation degrees is really a small amount of hours anyway. That is also just a ploy by the universities to get people to buy their dream of becoming an airline pilot.

Get a job while in college that has a future just in case. I worked in the airlines for over 20 years before taking early retirement. Managed to own my own home and paid down enough to be able to get back into flying.

I am not suggesting she work for 20 years, but having a real job on the side may help in the long run. With the option of taking on-line classes and so many colleges offering flexibility, there should be no reason why she can't work in a couple of years.