PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My daughter wants to be a pilot
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2015, 23:46
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let her fly now despite the 1500 hours rule to be a copilot at a regional at 23. She can instruct or do other kind of flying meanwhile.
Actually, you can be a first officer (copilot is not politically correct) at the age of 21. You can't be PIC of a 121 operation until you are 23. Anybody can get a restricted ATP at 1500 hours total time and 21 years of age regardless of the route of training that they chose. And keep in mind, MOST 141 programs do not qualify you for the reduced restricted ATP minimums of 1000/1250TT. There are still restricted ATP minimums for those who have 1500 hours and meet all the other ATP requirements except for the age (21 instead of 23) and cross country time (200 hours instead of 500).

I would suggest that you shop around the different flight schools in your local area. No need to buy into the advertising at ATP. ATP is ok, but not the best, and a bit over priced. If your daughter goes to ATP, once she becomes a private pilot she will not be able to take her dad up flying. If she goes to a local flying school or flying club, she will be able to take anyone flying while building up her time to become a commercial pilot and beyond. Most schools will hire your daughter once she completes her CFI. There are lots of instructor jobs right now, especially in training hubs like Florida and Arizona, but I live in neither and am able to fly 100 hours per month, and I make more money than the guys at ATP on the other side of the field.

Visit the different schools in person. Find the place that has the best environment for you. Visit ATP and compare. If ATP is the best for your daughter then go for it. Everyone has their preferences, but at least do your research and shop around.

There are also several organizations dedicated to getting women motivated in aviation. There are scholarships for them too.

Check out the Fly with Amelia Foundation, run by Amelia Rose Earhart. They give scholarships to young girls between 16-18 to fly. I know her personally and I can ask her any questions that you may have.
Fly With Amelia Foundation - The Amelia Project

Also check out your local 99's chapter. They often have scholarships for young women in aviation.
Scholarships |

Getting a 4 year degree will be a big advantage, but it does not have to be an aviation major. if your daughter wants to major in aviation, I recommend that you check out the AOPA college directory.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/learn...tion_colleges/