PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Ogle Accident 1994
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2015, 21:28
Piggies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on this site for a long time, because quite frankly it bores me, but I was interested to learn any news about the deployment of Chinooks to Nepal, not least because I had a minor involvement this week.

I'll out myself.

Several years ago, yer man 'Beagle' made what I considered to be inflammatory comments about this incident on the Chinook Mull of Kintyre Thread. I sent him a PM explaining my situation and asked him for details on where he got his information. As I recall, he cited Data Protection as a reason not to answer me.

I was programmed to fly with PM on 1 September 1994. On that day, I was asked to go to a meeting with GM at Stn Ops, so asked RH to fly in my place, which he readily accepted. RH did not survive that sortie.

I am well aware of the rumours concerning PM and RH and the inferences that have been made. These have followed me around in the nearly 21 years since. If you knew the personalities, you would know the truth.

My wife was 7 months pregnant on 1 September 1994. I am fully aware that if it had been me, and not RH, in the boot that day, those exact same rumours would have surrounded me and my widow would have had to live with them.

There was nothing going on. It is distasteful to suggest otherwise and it dishonours the memories of two members of the Royal Air Force.

And it really pisses me off.

Roger Smith.