PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 1st May 2015, 09:00
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens when the facts are considered
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for people to consider facts of a particular incident, as a long as the laws/rules are silly.

Flight attendants and passengers keep getting injured by heavy hand luggage falling out of overhead bins. This is a real, not an imaginary threat. Now what if someone intentionally swings their 15 kilo hardshell hand luggage at your head? Then there are the hundreds of glass bottles pax are carrying. Oxygen tanks and fire extinguishers could also make formidable weapons. The on-board cutlery, chopsticks, fire axes, etc etc, it's all well known. I'm not saying we should ban all that, just like I think it's (barely) fair to allow engineers on duty around the aircraft to have access to a spanner. How about if some malicious terrorist fuel truck driver would speed out onto a runway in just the wrong moment...can you imagine the disaster? But according to current rules, some yoghurt carried by a pilot is getting more attention. How many have actually been hurt by a yoghurt? Let's just face it, there are nonsensical elements in the ongoing "security charade". Knives or whatever, I put up with it and do my best to comply...but there is room for improvement, and I think that is a more interesting debate, in general, than to consider the facts of some particular case where someone got caught carrying something he/she shouldn't. Yawn.

Last edited by deptrai; 1st May 2015 at 16:43.