PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Highest earning occupations - Pilot not amongst them.
Old 1st May 2015, 05:30
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This comparison is so ridiculous, why do pilots do this to themselves.

Having formerly dated a doctor, I can vouch that the medical profession for most individuals provided substantially more stress than this great profession of ours, at least here in Australia.

Apart from the exams, which most of us would not pass.

Five years study before you earn, literally anything and then you find that the nurses are earning more money when you're an RMO

The hours doctors work, working on days off for no extra money with the continuing ongoing study for years on end, almost complete lack of social life, for most specialties barring perhaps GP's.

Our industry, on the other hand, has very clearly defined FDTL's Minimum days off that certainly, in the airlines are adhered to. Minimum ongoing study requirements albeit with regular checks and keep up study here and there.

There's just no comparison, I get to have a life in this job and the more time I spend away from this job the more I love it, I get lots of time away.

As for money:

The girl I dated almost fell over whe she heard what I earned as an FO. At that time I was earning around $95k all in, compared to her $75k as a paediatric registrar. Of course she will no doubt overtake me at some point but on a time investment versus financial return the comparison is ridiculous.

Pilots don't generally get in to their profession because of the money and neither do doctors. One of the only things pilots and doctors have in common is that we both get in to the job because for many a varied reason we like the idea of said occupation.

The greatest driver for our pay and conditions here is Australis is the level of public interest in an air crash. The unfortunate reality is that there is not the same level of public interest in an individual death of a patient and the public's ability to objectively comprehend the cause of such a death is limited at best.

I have the utmost respect for doctors, please stop the comparison, you make us look like overpaid idiots.