PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - automation...civilian vs military attitudes
Old 30th Apr 2015, 14:32
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All 4 I should say.
I feel just about every form of education has been nibbled to death by ducks. The causes are:
A 'bite-size' approach to instruction, with not enough holistic work.
Emphasis on passing the student, not on attaining a standard.
Training syllabi which are easy to deliver and examine, not easier for the student to learn from or recall.
A minimisation of ongoing training by companies on cost grounds.

Part of the problem is financing. Students all over the World in many industries are now obliged to self-finance. Inevitably, this means weaker students are attracted to educational establishments which will pass them, whatever. For-profit educational establishments make higher profits if they have more students (and if they cut instructor salaries, which is easier when they need less qualified/experienced instructors, which is easier with 'canned' courses), so a race to the bottom has ensued.

Furthermore, everybody has a vested (i.e. financial) interest in keeping quiet about dropping standards.

Now and again, a few with standards make a stand,e.g.
A&M-Galveston prof says flunking entire class was the right thing to do | Dallas Morning News

There remain a few beacons of excellence, but the standard of the majority has been declining gradually for 20 years.

I have instructed/taught at Uni, high school, flying, offshore sailing, scuba diving,and a bunch of others, on 3 continents, and I have seen this situation developing pretty much universally.