PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 30th Apr 2015, 01:16
Torqs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, Russell Bell 2015.

I have to agree with the Law profession at the moment, the market is not looking good and with the ever-growing amount of students graduating, it seems that there is going to be plenty of lawyers for the next 20 years! Coupled with my lack of passion for the profession, I think it would be best for me to consider my options elsewhere; hence why ATC seems viable.

I would think the low employment retention would almost be directly related to military life in general. As a JBAC, you do get the qualifications that an ASA ATC acquire; being in your early 30s (assuming you have completed your degree in your early 20s and taking into account the period of service) the possibility of stability in a civil environment would be ideal- especially if you are in a committed relationship etc. Of course, the idea of moving around and working in a limitless organisation such as the RAAF may be enough to keep a few, but I could see why people would leave.

You are right in respect of your last paragraph; I was referring to deferring an opportunity that may arise in the RAAF until ASA complete their procedures. This is, of course, living in an ideal world, if I was to get an offer for RAAF would it be wise to defer until I got told a yes or no from ASA or just take it straight up. Is there something different that is so major between the two that would make me consider deferring. By the sounds of it, probably not.

In any event, I am looking forward to going through the testing for ASA! I don't mind the psychometric testing, I seem to do OK in them. Have you had your additional testing for JBAC yet?

Also: if there are any ATC in ASA and JBAC's on this thread, I would be interested to hear the reason why you took one over the other (if you were fortunate enough to get offers from both) or any reason whatsoever.