PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2015, 21:18
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original quote by Lonewolf_50:
Is that the same brand of "soon" as the "F-35 will IOC soon" or is it another brand?
I was thinking of the new CFM LEAP engine:
The CFM LEAP family represents the engines of choice for the next-generation single-aisle aircraft. The LEAP-1A is an option on the Airbus A320neo; the LEAP-1B is the exclusive power plant for the Boeing 737 MAX; and the LEAP-1C is the sole Western powerplant for the COMAC C919. Two engine families have contributed significantly to the design of the LEAP engine, the CFM56 and the GE90/GEnx series of engines. The GE90/GEnx contributed the high-efficiency core architecture to minimize fuel consumption, while the CFM56 legacy drove reliability and maintenance cost design practices.

Airbus just rolled out the first A320neo LEAP powered aircraft and it will start ground testing and flight certification testing this year. I believe over 5,000 LEAP engines have been sold at this point in time. Revenue service will start in 2016.

FYI, the CFM56 core came from the F101 engine designed for the B-1A/B bomber. There have been over 25,000 CFM56 engines produced for Boeing and Airbus. The GE90/GEnx core evolved out of the GE engine offered for what is now the F-22 fighter.

I suspect the promised dates will be met as advertised along with up to a 15% improvement in fuel efficiency verses the best of the current CFM56 engines, further reduced maintenance costs, and a 1000 pound weight reduction contribution for each A320neo aircraft verses current A320 aircraft.