PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2015, 17:56
Tagron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thinking all along that there must be something going on in the background to account for the otherwise inexplicable lack of progress on the taxiways, and sure enough there is something, and it is in the public domain.

The key is the solar farm. The original planning application was rejected in December 2014. The reasons for rejection, briefly, were flood risk, ecological (badgers and grass snakes) and non compliance with the Joint Area Action Plan designation of that site for future MRO development.

The airport submitted a new planning application 15/00190/FUL on March 27, which attempts to deal with the objections raised by the planning authority. They proposed that the site for a new maintenance hangar should be moved to the northern end of taxiway F, which they claim will be a better location for development than the original JAAP site. That proposition seems to me credible. They also point out that there are still three sites vacant in the existing MRO area.

Of even more interest is the new site plan of how they see future developments of the whole airport. Note the new taxiways the "push back stands" and other parking areas. Page 40 for the map and Page 16 for some commentary, Supporting Documents, Design and Access Statement.

I have only just found this documentation and had time only to skim through it quickly. I find the Rochford District Councils planning material something of a struggle but I will try and post a link shortly unless someone else beats me to it.

The proposed developments (the Indicative Development Plan) form only background to the solar farm proposal and do not constitute a planning application themselves. But it should give a clear guide as to why SEN management may be reluctant to spend money on work that may not form part of the longer term plan.

Last edited by Tagron; 29th Apr 2015 at 18:58. Reason: Minor addition