PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop transition to jet?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2015, 07:38
flyingcamel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently doing the transition from Q400 to B738 and so far I have to say, once you've got to grips with all the gizmos it seems like the jet will be the easier life generally. However with no time yet on the actual aircraft I shall leave the verdict to those more experienced than I. Certainly I think I will miss the hooligan aspect of having a very adept machine to dig me out of a poor energy profile in order to achieve stable approach criteria. However, that reliance seems to have bred a culture of ambivalence in some less experienced TP pilots in that they know that facility is nearly always there, (barring a significant TWC or high weights or both,) so they get in the habit of being 'hot and high' as they know that 9 times out of 10 they can get away with it.

So there seems to be good and bad in both. I know from my 4500 hours in Betsy that there are a huge number of very adept aviators in the TP community, it's just a matter of convincing HR types to bloody well hire us! I've had to move to the sandpit to get my opportunity. Much as Betsy was kind to me, only time will tell if I miss her long term.