PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop transition to jet?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2015, 07:12
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And there it is, the chip on the shoulder of all TP drivers: jet drivers can't actually fly. If you can't fly a NP approach I crosswinds up to the limit of your aircraft, you've no business being in a cockpit.

It's an inane generalisation. I flew TPs without autopilot or FMS. In fact, my first 3,500 hours were all hand flown, 1,500 on TP. A large percentage of my instrument approaches were NDB approaches. A good pilot remains current with all aspects of flying and should be able to carry out a NP approach as and when required. Request it next time.

I use autopilot as and when the situation requires. High density airspace? Autopilot, ease the workload off the pilot monitoring, for instance. On the flip side, hand flying a visual is much less taxing than hand flying an IFR approach. Try descending in the stack in Manchester, with ATC speed control frequently changing, level changes, etc... It requires a lot of concentration to maintain precise speed throughout when flown manually, and this is exactly where AP usage can expand the overall capacity of a crew.

No one wins by propagating bitter falsehoods, at the very least it shows a ignorance of automation and its benefits.