PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 29th Apr 2015, 07:05
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Brian,
yes there was a switch down the back (on the starboard side) to check the bomb racks on the ground. This switch was not originally fitted in the a/c. It appeared when all the a/c were modded for ULLA. A 28v socket also appeared under a small panel on the ramp to power the EPERA.
Prior to the switch fitting a jumper lead had to be used between two connectors to test the bomb rack on the ground. In the early days the Air Eng had to witness and sign for this test. Lots of bomb rack problems in the eraly days due to robbing from a/c to a/c and poor rigging instructions.
I believe the 'K' was the only model to have twin bomb racks. I wonder if the 'J' does.
I have described our 'famous ' high altitude ULLA maldrop in an earlier post.
This was due to the incorrect manufacture of the 'Y' strop. I do not recall any other real problems dropping ULLA but it did seem to be very height sensitive !
My recollection of the a/c touching the DZ is that it was after the load had gone. I could hear and feel the wheels and the Eng would get a light up of the anti skid system.
R4H do I understand you were doing these trials in 2001 ?
The ALM was always required to go aft down the port side in the event the MSP did not leave the a/c. Been there got the strip ! This was to visually check what had or had not worked. With a high frame double load the only thing you could check from 245 was whether the extractor had deployed.
The state of the EPERU etc required the walk aft. You would of course have pulled the EPERU emergency handle that you had so carefully tied up to the stanchion at 245. In theory this rendered the main parachutes incapable of deploying as you wandered down to the ramp. If all was OK you could then fit the the additional aft restraint chains (not 'Emergency Chains') close up the a/c and RTB to wait for the JATE investigation team. I think I have bored on enough for now !