PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The backlash against foreign pilots explained to foreign pilots
Old 29th Apr 2015, 00:25
Gilles Hudicourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arcdu, this back and forth reciprocal deals between Canadian and European companies went on for about a dozen years without much problems. Canadian came over to Europe in the Summer and Europeans came over to Canada in the winter. But the trades were equal, or more or less so.

After Canada 3000 went under in 2002, their unemployed pilots tried to block the Europeans pilots from coming to Canada to fly for Skyservice, claiming that because they were unemployed, the foreigners should stay home. They were unsuccessful because Skyservice was doing true and equal reciprocity with the UK airlines and that allowed Skyservice pilots to have full time employment instead of seasonal jobs. About 70 UK pilots still came over to Canada in 2003, My Travel pilots I think it was.

After TUI purchased Sunwing in 2010, things changed and ever since then, the exchanges have always favored the Europeans by a very large margin. For 5 consecutive years.
One year, there were more Europeans pilots flying Sunwing Canadian registered aircraft than Canadian pilots, about 145 to 180 I think.

Do you you picture Thomson one summer having more Canadian pilots than Europeans pilots flying Thomson UK registered aircraft ?

Plus the Europeans no longer allow Foreign Licenced pilots to fly European registered aircraft. So I don't see why Canada should allow Foreign licenced pilots to fly Canadian Registered aircraft.