PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Control Training
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2015, 20:58
max_drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread.

As a part-time FI, one of the more common types of flights I do these days on SEPs tends to be the hour with an instructor for revalidation of the SEP rating. As part of these flights I will always tend to include some element of recovery from unusual attitudes/loss of control scenarios, typically spiral dive, high-nose incipient stall and some incipient spins. I have to say I won't normally go much beyond what PPLs will have come across as part of their training as I don't believe they are likely to encounter that in reality (as I tend only to fly with VFR, fair-weather fliers).

Personally, I like to try to fly my own revalidation flights with people who will push me beyond my own normal operating conditions in order to develop my own handling and confidence ie. semi-aerobatic stuff and fully developed spins. I think as a part-timer this is important and is the safest course of action as it takes me beyond what I would normally see as an FI.

Away from FI flying my airline includes regular recovery training in our recurrent sim training. In our case this is tailored towards recovery from icing-induced stalls and unusual attitudes. Despite being a Swedish design, the aircraft we fly have demonstrated some unusual and unfortunately fatal characteristics when covered in ice and allowed to stall. As you can imagine we focus a lot of training on not stalling the aeroplane, but equally we do spend a fair bit of time practising getting it back out again. I think the most extreme attitude our sim can produce is 110 degrees of roll and 40 degrees pitch down...that's interesting, but it is just a sim.