PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To EK pilots - Legality of EK 6221 to DFW on Apr.XX
Old 28th Apr 2015, 19:23
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
break dancer

Please can you tell me where it says the next rest period is only 12 hours? I agree that the "rest provisions contained within the approved FTL scheme are not applicable to ULR operations" but I see nothing about actual minimum times. Not only logic, but common sense, safety and airmanship would dictate that you would require at least the same rest as the preceding duty. 22 hours duty, 22 hours rest. The reference to the normal FTL rest limitations is, in my interpretation, implying that if anything they should be greater. Remember, before EK bastardised the rules from the UK Cap371, a ULR required a minimum of 48 hrs rest. That is evidence that we should be applying a greater margin of safety rather than a lesser one when it comes to ULR rest.

No doubt the Company may try to persuade you otherwise, like any airline would, but it's not their career or licence that's on the line. Remember that.

As for the debate about minimum bunk rest for crew during ULR operations, I hate to tell you all but there isn't any. The Company applies to the regulator with each pairing a rest guide for cabin crew which will be applied for that particular pairing. It's not a mandated rest and is only 'recommended'. Whilst every effort should be made to follow it, it's not compulsory and in unforeseen circumstances, can be 'amended'.

Safe flying ladies and gents.....

Harry