PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2015, 18:46
Danny42C

Reader123,

Had another look at them all, and am now thoroughly bemused. Your ("Brar") film is a sort of pick 'n mix of all sorts of things. The historical RAF part was particularly interesting to me, as I served on No.8 Sqn, IAF (VVs) from mid-Dec '43 till autumn '44. The VVs were all pulled off ops in midsummer of that year as it was planned that the Mosquitoes would be doing our job, with fresh crews from UK, and would take over the four RAF Sqn (45,82,84 & 110) numbers.

We were out of a job; we and our aircraft were dispersed to the four winds. I (and most others) thought this a mistake then: I think so now. The 14th Army was pushing the Jap back South; the Jap does not go quietly, but digs in at strong points chosen to hold us up and fights to the death. Reducing these by infantry attack is expensive (as the US Marines knew to their cost in places like Iwo Jima). The VV had found its ideal métier, uprooting these points with accurately applied HE, and could easily have done another "dry" season before the crews were due for repat after a (3-year) Tour. But it was not to be.

Smudge,

First, must gladly withdraw all aspersions cast or implied ! Seems that an awful lot has been spliced into the original You Tubes. They are all worth watching if you can spare the time, but a lot has been copied from one to another.

And the IAF has come a long way from my time !

Cheers, Danny.