PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Camouflage
Thread: Camouflage
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2015, 07:55
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
US Army CARC,

In the 80s, the US Army repainted all its helos from Vietnam green to CARC Chemical Resistant Coating which is not green green nor is it black black. Dependent on whether the sun hits or not, or grey overcast clouds, it can look black.

Though there are a couple of examples where US Army helos have gone grey, like their fixed wing counterparts. One was during Op Praying Mantis / Prime Chance during the 1980s when the Nightstalkers MH-60A were sea grey when deployed on the MSBs in the Persian Gulf. First time I had seen a grey MH-60 was in 1990 book called Screaming Eagles, 101st AD when the author took a photo over Sabre AAF flightline can see all the A/MH-6 Little Birds and MH-60 with one grey sticking out.

The second example was the South Carolina ARNG AH-64A during Iraqi Freedom in light grey. I am not sure if that was a one-off and said airframe(s) have gone back to CARC

I have not seen any US Army rotary or fixed wing in mottled grey green camou but the USMC had went from green in 60s/70s to 80s green grey then desert sand brown and desert brown/ mottled grey during Desert Storm and thereafter and then all grey now.

I am mildly surprised that since Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, no one went back to painting all mud movers desert brown like they did a decade earlier as with the Tonkas, Harriers, C-130, Lynx, Junglies, Wokkas, Trimotors,

The French have always had some form of desert style camou on some of their ALAT SA330C fleet and Gazelles probably due to ops in sub saharan continent in the 80s.

I take it there's a reason why our Longbow fleet does not have the bog standard camou paint job as was on the Lynx/Gazelle fleet. Most of the global operators of the 64D have the same coat of paint as the US Army brethren bar the IDF/AF ones

cheers