PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 15
Thread: SDSR 15
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2015, 23:45
5 Forward 6 Back

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Photo,

On days I don't fly, I don't cease to be a pilot; I still have expertise, capability and knowledge hewn from the best part of 2 decades of military flying. The pay is there to retain aircrew; not as "danger pay" for the actual act of flying.

If you're posted into a job that doesn't need to be filled by aircrew, you already lose it. I guess Melchett is suggesting that may happen immediately, rather than the current 2-3 year ramp down via reserve band.

Naturally, as RRP(Fg) is the only thing keeping a lot of aircrew from PVRing, I'm sure we can tell what'd happen; anyone posted to a ground tour would shrug their shoulders and immediately quit...! I know a few people who volunteered for them back in the days of longer reserve banding as "broadening" tours. I know a few who've volunteered for them now, as long as they were short tours and they'd get back to flying before RRP disappeared.

In terms of your realistic use of public funds, the AFPRB have been keeping an eye on pay for aircrew for years, including PAS, and think it's set appropriately. Why do you know better?

I'm getting pretty blasé about this sort of attitude, though. I get paid an allowance based on the fact I need to use my knowledge, expertise and skills as a pilot. If you take it away because you post me to a job that doesn't require those, fair enough. But if you post me to a job that doesn't require the knowledge, skills and expertise I've spent years developing, why would I stay?