PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 27th Apr 2015, 17:58
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
We have seen three landing accidents in the last month with the A320, fortunately without loss of life. Air Canada, Asiana and Turkish aircraft all seriously damaged, quite possibly written off. The lack of fatalities testimony to how solid modern aircraft are. But the crashes are interesting in that in all cases the aircraft were (or according to procedure should have been) in manual flight.

We have major carriers on three continents most probably writing off aircraft. Did erosion of manual flying skills play a role? It is clearly too early to be sure. But it must be an issue that is being investigated.

Will more emphasis on manual flight help? I am sure it will. Equally as others have pointed out that brings its own problems. My co-pilot yesterday demonstrated how not to fly a raw data departure. Low risk and a good learning experience, but not something I would do if I was an expat skipper in the far east. In fact I might not even be allowed to let him land.