PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much rudder trim 320 Eo
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2015, 02:47
john_tullamarine

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
Some thoughts. Caveat - no specific Airbus background

As long as TOGA is not charged to my credit card for I will use it.

Fair comment, but consider -

(a) certification philosophy is that there is no need for pilot commanded thrust increase due failure and, indeed, the Standards proscribe it. This, naturally, doesn't preclude operation of those systems which have an auto thrust increase capability.

(b) flex sums are based on no increase in thrust. If you choose to increase thrust, suggest you do so slowly.

(c) derate sums are based on no increase in thrust. Vmca may, and generally will, have been reworked for the derate. If you choose to increase thrust beyond the derate maximum, then do it very carefully and know what the actual Vmca was for the takeoff

Why do I say do it carefully ? Thrust can ramp up rapidly with an accompanying Vmca ramp up and catch the pilot quite unawares. I was involved in a turboprop fatal investigation many years ago where, almost certainly, the final departure which led to ground impact was associated with too fast a pilot commanded thrust increase on a very good engine .. crash, burn, (most) die.

35 feet clearance is achieved after net climb gradient

.. once you are in the climb. A V1 failure doesn't give you much fat to play with at the end of the takeoff ... different matter once you are through several hundred feet on the altimeter.

If you are one of those whose flying is perfect 365 days anytime and every time

Another fair comment. I can recall only two pilots who might have come close to this. Flew with one a bit with attendant embarrassment on my legs ... most of us fall far short ...