PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Camouflage
Thread: Camouflage
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 21:27
ExAscoteer

Location: Sneaking up on the Runway and leaping out to grab it unawares
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to fundamentally disagree with the earlier posters about MTP.

While the MTP-PCS is a far better clothing system than was CS95 (albeit with too much velcro), the MTP camouflage system is, IMHO, fundamentally flawed.

It works fine for where it was designed (the fertile areas bordering on desert such as in Afghanistan) but it is certainly not Multi Terrain.

In temperate European areas the only time it works IME is in grassland, and specifically grassland that has not become lush (ie that green/brown grass you see in early spring or late summer/autumn).

In woodland it is worse than useless and, more worryingly, at night in any sort of ambient light the wearer stands out like a Belisha Beacon!

I have operated on the Plain, STANTA, Catterick, Sennybridge and Otterburn - the only place MTP really worked was April/May at Catterick, otherwise it was appallingly bad.

I would agree that DMP became darker post CS95 which degraded its effectiveness - early DPM was far more effective.

I would bet a pound to a pinch of salt that within 5 years we will be back in a woodland type cam.