PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 17:24
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Nigel

That's interesting to know. It illustrates that having a 3 Km runway is in its self is not the complete story.

I hope it bodes well for the future. Being able to support a fully laden A380, (Yes I'm watching the Cargo B777-300 argument too) must be a strategic asset for the facility and the Midlands as a whole.

I have watched with interest the long haul developments at Birmingham and over the next 20 years or so, this investment might come to be seen as an historic turning point (no pun intended) for the Economy of the West Midlands.

Airports have now become the "Sea Ports" in part, of centuries past [and present] Towns and cities that the roads, canals and railways bypassed did not thrive. There's an almighty warning in economic terms for all of the UK here. If the project succeeds economically; all well and good (greater trade, tourism(in and out). If there is little or no additional trade (extra long haul bucket and spade outward is of limited Economic value), the 50 Year wait/delay will have extracted a terrible cost.

Nigel: there are echo's of the LHR hiatus here and BHX is now possibly part of the solution. The critical thing is that the runway infrastructure at Brum is here and ready not vapour ware and not PDF's or verbage.

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 26th Apr 2015 at 18:02.