PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop transition to jet?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 17:03
7Q Off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrance
Tell a jet pilot to do my job of manually flying an NDB approach into a short runway with minimal weather, and 30+ knots of very gusty crosswind and most of them will probably fail miserably until they've tried a bunch of times.

Tell me to do a jet pilots job of programming the FMS and autoflight systems in all the right sequences and procedures to do a nice CATIII or RNP approach, and I will fail miserably until I've tried a bunch of times.

People who claim one thing is harder than the other have a need to feel superior I guess. It's just different challenges, and until someone gets a shot you will not find out whether they are up to it or not.

As a TP driver I also feel there should be a bit more value attached to our experience, but then again, who am I to say that I will be so much more proficient than that cadet fresh out of training? I hope I will be with a couple of thousand of sectors of manual flying in all weather situations under my belt, but maybe I'd have a hard time adjusting to the different challenges on a jet.
I,ve done it sereval times in the metro and later in the 737-200. Both seats. No big deal. But I agree that my life is easier now on the NGs vs the old 200/metro.

Lets be honest. A plane is a plane. You pull the yoke and the plane goes up, puss the yoke and the pane goes down. And if you pull the yoke to much the plane fist goes up up up and the goes down very fast.

Ph: I will take a TP pilot any time to fly jets. No doubt.