PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing flaps on short finals
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 12:44
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what's been said. It's not something for an inexperienced pilot, and it's a little unusual within a GA environment.

But if you know the aircraft, if you're above Vs and if you're prepared to handle the inevitable pitch change, then you can indeed use the last stages of flaps as a form of energy (drag) control.

At the very least you're showing some courtesy to noise-sensitive neighbors. And it's good practice for an engine failure scenario.

I have myself retracted flaps on final, but for a different reason. I was on a straight-in approach in a fairly strong headwind (35 knots or so). I was fully configured for landing, with full flaps, maybe a mile away, and the runway did not get any bigger anymore. So I added some power, removed the last stage of flap, and added the flaps again when I was just before the threshold.

To me, flaps are just one of the flight controls. You need to know what they're doing, and how you can use them in different scenarios, within their operational limits. Just applying them by rote as you learned on the PPL course is good and will keep you safe, but there are other ways of doing things that are equally safe and maybe more effective.