PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enjoying a good Flight Manual
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 12:05
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enjoying a good Flight Manual

Ok, I admit it.... Most people collect something, I collect Flight Manuals (and operating manuals, and their equivalents). They contain some pretty interesting information, and show an evolution. There are even some plot twists! My collection exceeds 50, from rag and tube, through GA aluminum, into modern G1000 and composite, to a few jets, with some helicopter and quasi military on the side. Yes, I even buy some of those WWII "Pilots Notes" reproductions sold at UK flying museums.

Somewhere in the early '70's, GAMA (a US manufacturer's association), participated with the FAA, to establish a format for a Flight Manual, and the FAA made them a requirement for new aircraft. Prior to that, there were various forms of documents filling that role (and for some aircraft, more than one!)

We gained a fixed, and very predicable format, though in some cases, lost some pretty interesting information too!

But in the core, the manufacturer wanted us to know some things about operating their plane safely (and their lawyers were even more interested in that!). They tell us about the plane, they tell us what is limited, and some things never to attempt. Then, they'll tell us what to do in an emergency, and then when things are normal. They'll tell us what kind of performance to expect, and all about weight and balance. Finally, the manufacturer will possibly provide some other interesting information. Of these seven sections, Sections: 2, 3, 4, and 5 are usually "approved", which means that you are required by regulation to follow what they say.

After all of that, you should expect to find some supplements. These will be for things which represent additions, changes or modifications to the aircraft. Depending upon their vintage, they should follow the same format, and will also have "approved" sections, that you must follow.

So, I know that the sky awaits, and you'd rather fly than read, but at some point, give it a glance - and find out something you did not know about the plane you thought you knew!

Has anyone found a surprise in a Flight Manual? I certainly have over the years....

So,

I get the impression he could quote 'The Manual' from memory
Yup.... And my other hobby is flying the plane!