PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Please - leaving for an offered job
Old 26th Apr 2015, 09:36
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
I am continually told stories about colleagues who achieved what I am asking.
I rather suspect that they simply went ahead and pressed their case, just as fortissimo advised earlier. I'm afraid that you, Mrs CS, and any little CS's have to do just that, or nothing will actually happen. I applied as a PC to PVR in 1972, with every chance that it would be turned down and I would get OC GD Flight Machrihanish, or the like, in its place. Instead I was called to Adastral House (is that like Handbrake House now?) for an interview. Turned out to be with my ex boss who had seen my letter go across his desk.

Despite being responsible for Wg Cdrs and above he had asked to see me. Was I going out under a cloud? No Sir, I want to go on flying but the RAF has quite reasonably other ideas. Would I stay on for another 18 months and he would ensure I got a golden bowler that would be available then? No Sir, that's very kind but I've burned my boats now and it wouldn't be fair to the Service. Then I'll see that the PVR goes through for you. Thank you Sir, that's all that I could ever hope for.

I was lucky. I was always lucky with my bosses. What you have to ask yourself is, are you lucky? Well, are you?