PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing flaps on short finals
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2015, 07:09
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is hard to say something real helpful without knowing a bit more about the pilot and the aircraft. If seen from training perspective and aiming for low-timers it is an absolutely NoGo - if you do so in training session or checkride your best bet is to fail.

Now the but, you can do this on a very friendly aircraft like some 172s, especially the older ones with 40 flaps - IF AND ONLY IF you know exactly your plane. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT do this on unfamiliar or tricky planes. If you are a little low or trimmed on slightly off wrong attitude, you may fall from the skies.

Yes, I have seen this - most of the times from experienced glider pilots and on power idle, but they definitely have a different education and it remains dangerous on certain conditions. Yes, I have done it, but only when absolutely sure of the situation, but never below 600ft.

So, I would conclude - it is a procedure for experienced pilots only in very certain aircraft only and in certain conditions only, and not to be tried by low-timers.

My personal feeling, never to be done when pax aboard. If you kill yourself, fine it's yours, but do not, never ever, expose passengers to unnecessary threat!