PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Official Urges Major Pilot Training Changes
Old 25th Apr 2015, 22:35
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi RAT 5…

Sorry for the “almost” compliment – it really was meant sincerely. Also, I am familiar with what you term a “monitored approach” – where “primary” airplane control is managed by the A/P until the designated pilot makes the decision to disconnect and assume control. However, I would have expected that the person (Capt or F/O) who would ultimately disconnect the A/P and assume control for the actual landing, would have had his/her hands and feet on the appropriate flight controls, including the throttles, for at least long enough to have a good idea of where those controls are being "held" by the "automatic" systems … which would have allowed both a physical and mental monitoring of the inputs being made by the automatic systems … however, I gather, that is not what is done, nor is expected in all cases.

Also, and in all sincerity, I’m not saying that “I know better” and I’m not saying that “my way is a better way.” What I am saying is that every pilot (including “George”) manages the flight, and makes and “holds” control inputs differently – including me. If one has sufficient experience in the way a specific, individual pilot typically manages those controls all the way down to just short of touchdown, that knowledge and experience may well go some distance toward providing a clue as to what kind of control positions/pressures, accelerations/decelerations (in all axes) might be waiting for the person assuming control at any given point, when he/she actually takes over the actual control of the airplane.

I’m sure that every pilot here has experienced the “hidden” autopilot control inputs made by the automatic systems prior to reaching the point where the automatic trim systems would allow neutralizing the pressure on the physical control positions – and when disconnecting the automatic systems, finds themselves with varying amounts of control adjustments that are required to either maintain, or return, the airplane to the state having been maintained by the automatics. It is these kinds of experiences, in combination with taking control away from more than a few students, and recognizing similar “out-of-trim-conditions,” that are behind my words of caution regarding “changing controls” at critical phases of flight – and, of course, just prior to touchdown can be one of these critical points.

It is my opinion that there may well be accelerations already imparted to the airplane through the other pilot – or the autopilot – and may be more – or at least different – from what may be expected by the pilot assuming control. The best way I know of to minimize such “last-second adjustments” is to physically, mentally, and visually “monitor” the controls, including throttle position (and by “physically monitoring” I mean having your hands/feet on those controls) prior to disconnecting and/or assuming direct control of the airplane.

Last edited by AirRabbit; 26th Apr 2015 at 02:31.