PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows10
Thread: Windows10
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2015, 13:06
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Windows 8.1 and onwards

I too have used Windows 7 which like, but I suspect that Win 8 (Horrible and confusing interface) and 8.1 (better) which I'm using as I type, has incremental improvements in its security provisions; "Sand-boxing" of applications for example and better more developed native fire walling of PC systems.

Windows 7 was really a great leap forward in processor and memory management.

Hopefully Windows 10 will maintain the incremental improvements. As for the interface in Win 8.1 you can vary the sizes of the application boxes, kill the useless charms presentation and effectively use a PC without a touch screen. (Ancient ASUS 23" ML239 1920 x 1080 in use)

All the moaning and wailing about the interface in 8 versions really reflects on the "Consumer Computer press" in having something to moan about.

A PC screen, as it's evolved and the say 4" screen; on a smart phone are functionally [Similar] but differently physically scaled devices; with a significant overlap of functionality and use. The characteristics of the mouse used is critical.

The acceptance of the interface really boils down to familiarity, even the old DOS prompt with a batch file 1 for Word, 2 for Lotus etc, achieved a degree of useability in its time.

Even new users that I've taught; especially Middle aged and older people have accepted the interface as it comes. [Edit the drawback being you need to know what you are looking for - Menu systems have a huge advantage here. Unity in Ubuntu being a glaring example of the absence of this problem - How not to design an interface ]

The Win 8...... interface was an attempt to bridge a form of common interface across a spectrum of usage and for a lot of people, it failed.

System image and restore is a also major failing in win 8, even Vista did a much better job. This was a poor design change to encourage online backups.

I await Win 10 with interest.

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 25th Apr 2015 at 13:21. Reason: That Mouse reference