PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your leg or simply your take off?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2015, 11:17
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts
I have a position as it were in each camp, the first one from my late Father.

Dad finished WW2 as a WO1 with 461 Sqn RAAF. (Sunderland Flying Boats) He had done the required training and flown the required number of trips to qualify for the 'Skippers' position and command of his own aircraft. He actually was granted Command but never flew a single trip as VE day happened about two days after he was 'promoted.'

On the 27th of October 1945 he finally found his way home and flew from Melbourne to Adelaide (Parafield) in a Dakota. He told me the story thus;

'I was sitting down the back with a group of AIF and RAAF personnel and the Pilot appeared, glanced at us RAAF lot and asked "Any of you lot Multi Engine rated?" Dad put up his hand as was told 'Right, up the front; Second Pilot!"

Dad remarked that the PIC did the T/O, handed over to him at about 1,000' and upon arrival at Parafield, talked him through the landing.

Fast forward 49 years and I was second Pilot on an outback mail run using Chieftains. My official position, as chiselled in stone by Company Management was to sit there, look like I knew what was going on, and not touch anything, anytime, anyhow!!

Not a single trip went by when the PIC did not hand over to me at some stage of the flight. There were occasions when I flew the entire leg(s) from T/O to landing. It was not required for the PIC to do so; indeed it was contrary to Management instructions!

The bottom line?
A Skipper who takes the attitude that the FO is there to keep the seat warm wouldn't be a skipper for much longer in many of today's Airlines
Quite possibly, and most likely so!

But at least in my case, and way back in late '45 for my late Father, the PICs concerned did not have that attitude.

The old ways are the old ways. They belong (for better or worse) in the past.
DiVosh; Thank you Sir. You said in one short phrase what I was trying to say in a rather long essay!