PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop transition to jet?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2015, 09:08
Intrance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell a jet pilot to do my job of manually flying an NDB approach into a short runway with minimal weather, and 30+ knots of very gusty crosswind and most of them will probably fail miserably until they've tried a bunch of times.

Tell me to do a jet pilots job of programming the FMS and autoflight systems in all the right sequences and procedures to do a nice CATIII or RNP approach, and I will fail miserably until I've tried a bunch of times.

People who claim one thing is harder than the other have a need to feel superior I guess. It's just different challenges, and until someone gets a shot you will not find out whether they are up to it or not.

As a TP driver I also feel there should be a bit more value attached to our experience, but then again, who am I to say that I will be so much more proficient than that cadet fresh out of training? I hope I will be with a couple of thousand of sectors of manual flying in all weather situations under my belt, but maybe I'd have a hard time adjusting to the different challenges on a jet.