PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your leg or simply your take off?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2015, 07:29
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your leg or simply your take off?

Interesting discussion with a former ancient aviator who flew in the DC3 era in Australia. He joined with barely 250 hours, no instrument rating and went on to fly as a DC3 co-pilot directly from an aero club where he flew Tiger Moths and Wackett Trainers. Part of his flying training in the aero club was subsidized from a war service grant from the Australian Army where he fought in New Guinea.

He told me he could not understand the now well established principle of giving the co-pilot a "leg" which included the take off and the landing at the other end. In his era, the captain was in charge of the flight and depending on weather and other conditions he might offer the co-pilot a take off or a landing but a "leg" was unheard of. There was no such animal as a PF or PM. The crew consisted of the captain and his co-pilot.

The system worked well and there were no en-route arguments over decision making that often is a feature of my leg or your leg. CRM and TEM was yet to be invented in USA (and thence presented to the Western world as the ideal antidote to the occasional cowboy behaviour). Normal good manners and good airmanship were the accepted values of those immediate post war times. To be offered a take off and a landing by the captain was considered a privilege in those days - not a God given right...

My old friend wondered the reaction of the modern day co-pilot if told that he could do the take off or the landing but the captain ran the rest of the show?