PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. airline coalition releases more than 1,000 pages from probe into Gulf airline fi
Old 24th Apr 2015, 07:57
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
So how come Singapore can not fly SYD-LAX? They have been trying for years and the Aussies won't let them.
That's a fifth-freedom right. We are talking about domestic operations. Tiger, for instance, was 100% foreign owned until VA recently bought it. Ansett was 100% foreign owned unit it went under, The US has protectionist policies which do not allow foreign owned airlines to operate within the US.

Only European airlines can fly within Europe. No foreign passenger airlines can fly within Europe. So the same arguement about not opening the U.S. Japan, Canada China applies to Europe which is not even a country but a concept.
True- just don't then complain about facing competition on international routes when your International Airlines benefit from non-competitive domestic policies.

So the arguement is if your country doesn't allow foreign airlines to come into your county you are anti competing?
Yes. You take the advantages of having a monopoly on domestic routes, then parley that into increased on-carrige and cross subsidisation on international routes.

I'm not saying don't do it- I'm saying don't bitch about foreign airlines competitive advantages being unfair when you keep this huge advantage to yourself.

I never said I am for competition especially when it comes in the form of low wages and non exist tent work rules.
Except, of course, in the US regionals who provide around 40% of the capacity on the US domestic network!! You're happy to reap the benefits of THOSE low wages.