PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct rule from Scotland?
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2015, 07:20
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in England you won;t be privy to the number of people who voted no last September on the basis of what was promised and who now wished they'd voted yes. Believe me, it's a lot.
I'm English living in Scotland (and in the epicentre of the Yes vote to boot). I have zero interest in politics (and I mean zero) so could not give a FF who governs Scotland and/or the UK. Having property North and South of Hadrian's Wall I do have a great concern over outcomes which affect Residence and Domicile (which are legal international terms, which I know a fair bit about).

Thus, I watched the referendum with a forensic and analytic eye, from the perspective of being right in the thick of it.

That quote above is not true - pure and simple. A lot of Scotland will always vote no (just as a lot of Scotland will always vote yes). Look at the votes away for the central belt, which at times reached 65% No.

The vote is predominantly ordered around age demographics. Every morning I sat in the gym sauna and listened to 40 plus Scots ranting about wee eck. Every day I went to work and listened to 20 plus Scots ranting about Captain Darling.

Scotland will get independence have no fear of that, and maybe by a smash and grab opportunistic raid in a few years. But much, much more likely in 10-15 years time, when the top half of the current population have shuffled off the mortal coil.

Pity really, life should be an adventure and I was looking forward to the opportunities carving up the UK would present.