PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS in WA.
Thread: NAS in WA.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2003, 01:24
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 156 Likes on 50 Posts
I have got a really mad idea. Lets create a thing called a Flight Service Unit. They could be based at busy country airports, like Kal.

They could, I suggest, offer traffic information about ALL aircraft within, say, 30nm (or perhaps more) of the airport. They would also have their own "FIR" and provide information to aircraft within that FIR via VHF sat links or on HF Freqs. Other FSUs could monitor the HF Freqs and relay traffic movements, as required, by landline between FSUs around Australia. On the ground, the people that man these FSUs could offer SERVICES to pilots, like WX Breifings, ACCEPTACNCE OF FLIGHT PLANS, and "local knowledge" information. ( A crazy concept...I admit). In the air, pilots could request updated TAFS and WX, and also recieve "advise" from a person on the ground, which in a great number of circumstances, if they are a local operator, they probably know personally.

This may make the use of "non controlled airspace/airports a lot safer, and easier for pilots to work with.

Nahhh ..........it will never take off!!!!