PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ullswater Lake Maule pilot not guilty
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 12:54
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-Jacko has told us that waterskiing a Maule is akin to spinning a 150. I can point to the section in the POH for a 150 which describes how it is approved to be spun and the procedure. I've not seen the "waterskiing" procedure in the Maule POH.....

His home grown procedure seems to over look a few important details, which a float endoresed pilot would have been trained:

Survey the waterway for submerged or floating objects,

Wear sutiable life saving appearal, which depending upon temperature, might be more than just a life jacket,

Complete underwater egress training. 'Ever swim inside an inverted plane? It is suddenly very different inside, than the plane you thought you knew....

Assure that you meet the requirements for flight beyond gliding distance to shore,

Have a plan for engine failure at an inopportune time,

Have a suitably endorsed pilot's license (it does appear to be a deliberate water landing),

And, assure that the aircraft is insured for the intended operation - if you expect the insurer to pay for the plane. When I had to repeatedly fly my 150 out of gliding distance, I specifically insured it for that - so everyone had agreed in advance!

N-Jacko, I know that it is possible to waterski a Maule, is it possible to spin, loop and roll it? What about fly it overweight?