PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ullswater Lake Maule pilot not guilty
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 11:24
N-Jacko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50% of us are killjoys and 50% are cowboys!

I think the long term outcome for me is that I really want to go fly a Maule with big tyres on
+1

Seriously, there's been a lot of twaddle on this topic from folk who (if they have read and understood "Stick and Rudder") are much too well-informed to believe what they write. I think it's unfair to categorise such people as killjoys.

Landing with big tyres on water is as much part of a Maule's flight envelope as spinning a C150. Once one has thought about it one really doesn't need to keep head any further out of backside than when turning from base to final.

In case you want to try but can't find an experienced person to demonstrate, the following "how to suck eggs" advice should get you started:

1. Speed is survival - air-speed and gound-speed (or water speed on a river). When landing we are conditioned to pull the throttle. BAD MOVE!

2. Steer with rudder, not ailerons. For a Maule driver this advice is superfluous, because our "ailerons" are just wee trim tabs.

3. Avoid much of a crosswind, tailwind or windy/gusty conditions.

4. Add some aft C of G if you're going to run up onto a gravel bar or beach.

5. Climb straight ahead after take-off, especially on glassy water: https://vimeo.com/123221495

6. Avoid carb ice.

7. Observe local byelaws...

PM if you wish.

Enjoy your machine - and fly safely,
Peter.
Maule MX-7-180