PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 10:22
JennyB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
JennyB

I'm not quite sure if we're talking about the same "Birmingham" Most of the ad hoc (largely motor industry related) freight operations take place during the day / early evening, and yes, a few flight clearly will have been victims of the seemingly interminable night closures, many flights (and I mean more than a handful per week) did operate to / from BHX. Clearly they aren't regular, as line stops on certain components lead to spikes in movements, but really, the night closures won't account for the incorrect cargo figures that are published by the CAA.

Leaving aside the irritating, but necessary night closures, for much of the year (2014) the airport was H24 and ad hoc cargo operated as normal - whatever normal is for ad hocs!

Are you suggesting perhaps that the CAA numbers are correct?
Said in my first post that obviously the figures are wrong, however they will be much reduced from full year figures as, despite your protestation, the majority of cargo flights operate at night.

Wouldn't say that over 12 months of closures over 18 months were necessary, when planned to be around 4 months originally.

Some poor planning from either the BHX side, the contractors side, or both there.

The weather excuse really doesn't wash, the last two Winters been the best for years, and don't recall any snow, or one night when the planned closures didn't go ahead, in fact, generally started early, and often opened late.

" But, there was rain" some apologists cry, well, it was Winter! Actually also Autumn and Spring in the end, and as I said, not one night did they have to abandon the works, when surely planning a huge project like this they would have allowed a certain amount of lost days during inclement weather.

A huge balls up basically.