PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick arrivals
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2015, 05:04
EastofKoksy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and gents it should be possible to have a discussion on PPRUNE without resorting to abuse of other posters.

Apart from the ADNID trial and the allegedly PBN design compliant departures from RWY26, the only impact of PBN is to make aircraft fly departure routes that correspond to lines along the ground they should have flown for many years.

As far as the 26 LAM/DVR SID is concerned, when I was a TMA controller some pilots told me the conventional SID was not flyable. I have lost count of the number of flights that overturned to the NW and had to head SE to regain the DET radial. If you look at the track plots of the PBN 08 SAM/KENET SIDs, presumably designed using the same criteria, they seem well within the NPR swathe but the 26 departures are not. Something is obviously wrong somewhere. Could it be the 26 LAM/DVR NPR has always been misaligned and this has only been exposed by the introduction of PBN?

Concerning the arrivals for 26, there has never been a fixed route nor has any warranty been given about where aircraft will be positioned on base leg/finals. Aircraft have been vectored in a radar manoeuvring area as a matter of routine practice for decades. The track plots show that most of the affected area was already overflown by Gatwick arrivals but concentration has increased significantly. Frankly I don't see how the benefit of avoiding some missed approaches that account for a tiny percentage of arrivals is worth Gatwick starting a war with its neighbours.